Microsoft liberated Remote Desktop Services Web Client last week. This is the last improvement in the RDS roles and for me, it's a significative new feature because it offers us to consume an app or desktop from a client without Rdp or remote desktop app. What is the same, from a client with only a HTML 5 supported browser.
Before installing/adding this new feature you need to know:
- The RDS farm is not using Azure Application Proxy
- RD Gateway, RD Connection Broker and RD Web Access are in Windows Server 2016 or higher
- Kind of license are per User
- Have installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025334/windows-10-update-kb4025334 on the RD Gateway
- Public Certificates are installed.
- Microsoft says, Windows 10, 2008R2 or higher are only supported as client but I have this role used by my Mac OS High Sierra and others with Chrome.
- You have published this farm as wildcard or public valid certicates and the user experience connecting to the farm works without any advertisement. If there were a problem with internal certificates connecting from the Wan, you should review this post https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/03/10/configuring-rds-2012-certificates-and-sso/ mainly this part: Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration –CollectionName QuickSessionCollection -CustomRdpProperty “use redirection server name:i:1 `n alternate full address:s:remote.domain.com”
Steps to install RDS Web Client
1. Export the current certificated that you are using in the RD Connection broker as .CER
1.2 Add Computer Certificates
2. Go to the RD Web Access Sever Or servers and get powershell as administrative elevated credentials.
3. Launch these Powershell commands:
- Install-Module -Name PowerShellGet -Force
- Shutdown -r -t 0 (Take care it'll restart the server)
- Install-Module -Name RDWebClientManagement
- Import-RDWebClientBrokerCert x:\ExportedCertificatepath.cer (Exported in the step 1)
- Publish-RDWebClientPackage -Type Production -Latest (Accept the appeared Warning)
You can access to this new feature by: https://server_FQDN/RDWeb/webclient/index.html